When you want to know how to plant indoor gardens, you might be surprised that many indoor plants need very little attention, at all. Certain plants should only be relatively easy to grown indoors, such as leafy greens like spinach and lettuce. They tend to be smaller plants, for one thing, and would tolerate the lower temperatures of indoor environment better. Still, some herbs, such as mint, are great indoor plants to try. Here are some indoor plants tips to get you started:
– Indoor gardening enthusiasts know that when a plant starts out in the ground, it will need a lot of care. You need to harvest the plant regularly, fertilize it often, water it often, take certain vitamins and medicines, etc. If you do not harvest your plant regularly, it will be much harder for it to adapt to the indoor environment, meaning that it will not produce the great amount of buds it normally would. To avoid having this problem, make sure you always know when to harvest your plants, and then follow up with frequent and regular watering.
– For indoor growing veggies indoors, you might choose to keep a sunny window open, or invest in a strong light. You can find many different types of lights, from fluorescent lights, to metal halide lights, to low-voltage lights for containers. Depending on the type of plant you have, you may also want to choose a color of light. While red leafy herbs like oregano typically grow well in bright but low-voltage lights, herbs such as thyme and lavender prefer medium-voltage lights. Some of these herbs will actually grow better in indirect lighting, because the intense light does not hit the leaves directly, but instead is reflected off the foliage.
– In order to get the most from your indoor plants, it is important to provide them with the right amount of sunlight. Many herbs grown for culinary purposes love sunlight, but many of them will also like a bit more. Just remember that it doesn’t have to be a lot, just a little bit is better than none at all. If you are growing veggies indoors, choose plants that like some sunlight, like dill, marjoram, parsley and basil, because they are the ones that typically have the most foliage in the winter.
– Another important thing to keep in mind is that you will probably want to pot your indoor vegetables in a shallow trough or container. This allows your plants to have room to grow in, while also providing a clean space in which to root. It is important to not over-pot your indoor plants, because the roots will eventually take up all the dirt in the container. They will also spread rapidly if you over-water your veggies. So, you will want to water your indoor plants once a week in the fall and once a month in the spring.
– One thing to keep in mind is that you will want to filter out as much as possible, the sunlight. You should make sure that the plants have plenty of light and then keep them in a dark place to stop them from burning. There are several ways to do this, and one of them is to either put them under the sun, or hang them upside down from fluorescent lights. Both methods will work well.
– Finally, make sure to clean your indoor growing container thoroughly before you start sowing your seeds. Make sure that you don’t miss any of the dirt or other matter, because that will slow down your germination. Once you have your seedlings in the container, you will have to wait about one to two weeks, until they start to go into the vegetative stage. If you have ever done this before, it will seem very long, but it’s not.
Germination is the first step of your plants’ growth, so you must get them into the ground as quick as possible. You can actually get plants to germinate in less than two weeks if you know what you’re doing and practice every day. Once you start your plants growing, they will eat whatever you put in the soil and you won’t have to worry about their health. Just keep them watered and they should do fine.